Okavango Delta Aerial

Okavango Delta Aerial

Wednesday 1 January 2014

Black-collared barbet

I thought it was high time I started posting photo's from my trip, so I will aim to do this regularly. There are some I am keen to share as they illustrate some of the experiences that I had. Some are just an appreciation of what I saw.

I start with this little chappie... a black-collared barbet - Lybius torquatus



Before heading off to Seba Camp in the Delta, I spent a few days at Audi Camp. I spotted this striking bird as it flew away at my approach. I waited and saw eventually that there was a nest in the tree, one bird was inside and this handsome fella was outside. I'm assuming the female was the one in the tree, but as hey are not sexually dimorphic I really have no idea who was who. They were nervous birds and would fly away or dart into the nest hole whenever someone approached. I was determined to see them so I sat and waited nearby and was eventually rewarded - being able to watch their comings and goings for a while. I was pleased to be able to get some decent photo's of at least one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment